Tuesday 6 April 2021

A slice of earth.

 The next layer for my Cosmos / Universe piece was to be a slice of the earth crust.


So, I started off in the same way that I made the top layer,  by snapping up glass rods in blues and greens, and forming them in a mish-mash style to create a woven effect slab of glass.




Once melted flat I was pretty happy with the colours but I needed a better shape. So back it went into the kiln, draped over a ceramic bowl so I could get the domed shape I wanted.


I think that has worked pretty much how I wanted it to.  I would have preferred a slightly softer dome shape, but I don't have a lot of choice of ceramic moulds so I had to go with what I had.



Now it is time to put all of the elements together and hopefully create my original plan  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pampas Glass - an improvisation.

 When I heard about this assignment I smiled to myself - improvisation, it's what I do all of the time.  I have an idea, I don't hav...