Thursday 25 February 2021

Some research on recycled glass artists.

 During the work on my recycled glass project for sustainability, I have realised how much I enjoy working with the fear of the unknown.

Working with glass can sometimes be a bit touch and go, and you certainly add to that pressure by using recycled glass due to not knowing what you can mix it with.


One of the artists I admire a lot is a lady called Tan, who collects glass from the roadsides, skips and the beach in Cornwall, she cleans it off, her art statement is this...... "taking filthy bits of unloved window, bringing them home, scraping all the muck off and then turning them from the eyes of a home into a part of the home."

What an amazing way of working, don't you think?   Using what was once so useful and now discarded and bringing it back in a way that will be loved and admired.

Here are some photos of some of Tan's work - you can find more facebook.com/TanGreyGlass.


During my research about artists that use recyclable glass I came across Recycle Nation - this couple make night lights out of 100% bottles and they have found other ways to make their business more environmentally friendly, such as energy efficient kilns and recycled packaging materials.

Due to using bottles they have a very limited colour pallet but can still produce some lovely colourful pieces, as shown below.

 Looking at their work has encouraged me to experiment more with mixing recycled glass and seeing what happens.


Another artist I have found recently is a lady called Alison  (I cannot find a surname) who makes the most wonderful pieces from antique and vintage pieces, put together using the copper foil way of creating stained glass.  I seriously NEED to have a go at this, the work is so beautiful.



I like curves and rounds as a working shape anyway, but the way these have been put together is just so pleasing. I also like the fact that the frames are all used materials too.  I would love one of these on my wall.

You can find more of Alison's work here on her facebook page.

If you know of any good recyclable glass artists that might interest me then please drop me a link  :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pampas Glass - an improvisation.

 When I heard about this assignment I smiled to myself - improvisation, it's what I do all of the time.  I have an idea, I don't hav...