Sunday 7 March 2021

What is a Nebula?

 While researching the Cosmos and the Universe I came across Nebulas - I have been fascinated by Nebulas for a while due to their magnificent range of colours and how this can be transformed into art.

A Nebula is basically a place for new stars to form, it is a collection of dust and gases that clump together and  grow until it collapses under its own gravity, At that point a new star is born.

The word 'Nebula' is Latin for 'Cloud' or 'Fog'.

So why are Nebula so colourful?  If you have a look at this very quick Google image search you will see just how colourful they can be depicted.  Some of these images are art, created by using the artists imagination to how a Nebula might look.



Nebulae come in different types, they can emit light, they can reflect light and they can even block light, to create all different effects within the gases and dust of that Nebula.  They even change the look of the other Nebula near by by blocking and reflecting the light.  (Nebulae - Celestial Objects on Sea and Sky, 2021)


I think that by exploring what happens within a Nebula with the dust and the gases, I will be able to produce small Lampwork glass samples in the shape of beads that I will encase cremation dust and coloured glass into to create the colourful Nebula effects.

This work will be done by heating up a small blob of glass, then rolling it in other coloured glass before encasing it with a clear glass to give a reflective and magnetic finish.  I will also do the same with some cremation dust  (of a dearly departed doggy friend) as this dust can give a lovely effect when encased within glass. 

I would also putting forward the point that nothing ever leaves the universe.  We, as humans, once here, will always be here in some shape or form.


Spaceplace.nasa.gov. 2021. Troposphere | NASA Space Place – NASA Science for Kids. [online] Available at: <https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/troposphere/en/> [Accessed 6 March 2021].

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pampas Glass - an improvisation.

 When I heard about this assignment I smiled to myself - improvisation, it's what I do all of the time.  I have an idea, I don't hav...