Wednesday 17 March 2021

Creating the first layer of my Universe 'Core'.

 So, I have taken a core sample out of the universe as I imagine it. I have done this with an imaginary 'cheese trier'... you know those metal tools that take a tube of cheese out of the wheel to test it?  That.

From this idea I have started with a top core layer.   I have made this in a dark amber glass. The glass colour of choice would have been black, but I don't have any, so the closest I could manage was the dark amber. 

As I was arranging the pieces in the kiln I was thinking about the 'Order' versus 'Chaos' theory.   The thin straight rods of glass looked very ordered until I broke them all up and randomly criss-crossed them in a chaotic way.... or was it?   Maybe by the careful placement of each piece, it could seen to be laid out in quite an orderly fashion, as I was making sure there were no big gaps or clusters of too much glass.


Into the kiln it went on an overnight fuse schedule to melt all the rods together.  The result the nest day was quite pleasing, even if it wasn't my chosen black, I think it worked ok.


From this I was going to suspend a load of hand made lampworked glass beads, with lots of colours going on to represent a Nebula layer of my universe core sample.

I turned on my Lampwork torch, which uses a Propane and Oxygen mix, put some music on, zoned out, and just made bead after bead.  Picking up which ever colour grabbed my attention. It was quite theraputic.



I then suspended these beads from the flat disc part using fishing wire.  I spaced them quite randomly, with no exact pattern.  They don't hang so well at the moment, but once the next layer is added on it will weigh it down a bit and look much better.


Planning to do the next layer very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pampas Glass - an improvisation.

 When I heard about this assignment I smiled to myself - improvisation, it's what I do all of the time.  I have an idea, I don't hav...