Friday 19 March 2021

Research into 'Cosmos' artists.

I have been doing a little research into artists that use the Cosmos / Universe as a source of inspiration.   The first one that comes to mind is of course the very famous Pablo Picasso.

Picasso created a series of Constellation Drawings inspired by his gazing up at the night sky.  These images were drawn in a 16 page sketchbook in 1924.  (Fabrizi, 2021)

These paintings are created in pen and ink, and are a mixture of both controlled and chaotic mark making.  Joining lines in-between the dots to create many different images. I find them quite thought provoking.

(1924), 2021)


Whilst Googling 'Cosmos Inspired Artists', I came across a page that talked about Wassily Kandinsky. Wassily was an abstract artist who often took inspiration from what was around him, whether it was sound, or sights, or the atmosphere.   Some of his work has suggestions that they may be inspired by the universe / cosmos. This piece could be one of those.  A black space like background full of colourful planet type orbs,  I really love it.  

(Editors, 2021)

I plan to do lots more research into Kandinsky as I find his theory of painting sound totally fascinating.


I also need to talk a little about Satoshi Tomizu.   He is a fabulous glass artist from Japan who makes the most unique pieces of glass that look like they have a little galaxy within them.  Satoshi works with coloured glass and flecks of real gold to create a wonderful backpiece, then he adds an opal for a planet. Quite exquisite. 

I have had a go myself at this kind of technique and its not easy to do, so I am in awe of these beautiful pieces.

(Space Glass: Extraordinary Solar Systems and Flowers Encased in Glass by Satoshi Tomizu, 2021)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pampas Glass - an improvisation.

 When I heard about this assignment I smiled to myself - improvisation, it's what I do all of the time.  I have an idea, I don't hav...